The questions were answered in a different order to enhance the overall flow.
By Kelly Truong and Jeffrey Leung
2) Do IP addresses affect search engine ranking?
Depending on the type of server the webpage is on, IP addresses can affect the search engine rankings. Dedicated servers, which are internet hosts where the server is not shared with anyone, possesses fast loading speeds, which major search engines consider as a significant factor in a website’s value. Depending on the web hosting provider and/or shared hosting plan, a website often shares an IP with a large amount of other websites. Thus, increasing the loading times, and consumers most likely to leave the page and or never return. A site with low click popularity will have a greater search engine ranking.
“Why a Dedicated IP Address Is Important.” COLOCATION AMERICA – Colocation Services | Managed Dedicated Servers. Web. 21 Nov. 2011. <http://www.colocationamerica.com/services/why-a-dedicated-ip-address-is-important.htm>.
By Kelly Truong and Jeffrey Leung
What image file formats should be used for web pages, why (how does compression affect loading)?
Image file formats:
– composed either of pixels, vector data or both
– most common image file formats:
Most common raster formats (stores as bitmaps – pixel):
- JPEG / JFIF (Joint Photographic Experts Group)
- Best for Full-color smooth-toned images like photographs
- PNG (Portable Network Graphics)
- GIF (Graphics Interchange Format)
- GIF & PNG Flat-color images like logos or buttons work best
- GIF maximum of 256 colors – good for images that don’t need a great amount of color or pixels
Other common useable raster image file formats:
- JPEG 2000 (adds enable both lossless and lossy storage)
- EXIF (Exchangeable image file format)
- TIFF (Tagged Image File Format)
- BMP (Windows Bitmap)
- Netpbm (PPM, PGM, PBM, PNM)
Other common useable vector based image file formats
– Vector (consist of geometric description that can be rendered smoothly at any desired display size):
- CGM (Computer Graphics Metfile)
- Gerber Format (RS-274X)
- SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics)
– sacrifices the quality of the image to reduce the size of the image; the higher the compression, the lesser image quality; the smaller the image, the faster it loads on a webpage
- lossless image format – no image quality is lost when image is compressed
- lossy image format – some image data is lost when image is compressed, and quality is reduced
Gan, Ian. “Choosing the Right Format For Your Web Images.” Irt.org Home Page – Internet Related Technologies (IRT). 13 Nov. 2011. Web. 14 Nov. 2011. <http://www.irt.org/articles/js206/>.
“Graphics: Choose the Right Image Format – Jpeg Gif Png Web Image File Formats.” Web Site Optimization: Speed Up Your Site Website Optimization Web Speed Optimize Web Site Performance Company. 13 Apr. 2010. Web. 14 Nov. 2011. <http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/tweak/format/>.
“Image File Formats.” Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. Web. 14 Nov. 2011. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_file_formats>.
Read More… for password Read More
Part 1. In groups of 5 to 6, create a web presentation for CSS questions:
– What is CSS and how does it work?
– Through examples, explain how the CSS syntax works
– Through examples, explain the difference between id and class
– Through examples, explain the difference between external style sheet, internal style sheet and inline style, when is it better to use one over the other?
by Kim Sipkens
– Through examples, explain the box model
– Through examples, explain what floating and position do. What is the difference?
– Through examples, explain css grouping/nesting
by Sze Leung (Jeffrey)
– Through examples, explain how to align elements
– Through examples, explain how to build a css navigation bar
– Through examples, explain how to build a css based image gallery
by Kelly Truong
Part 2. Post on your individual blogs a link to a presentation (multimedia based, such as powerpoint) that demonstrates the steps necessary to create a common layout for a website using CSS.
We feel the necessary steps to creating a common layout is following our web presentation. Know the CSS and HTML and design the layout according to your own taste. Since layouts come in various designs, there is no right or wrong way to do a website. If you like certain elements shown in our presentation, simply adjust it to the way you want it to be and insert it into the HTML file. Using a HTML / CSS programmer like Adobe Dreamweaver would be a great tool to design and see the outcome of your HTML simultaneously.
I have had previous experience with HTML with coding, so this exercise served more as a memory refresher for me. However, I was not familiar with FTP, HTTP and SERVERS, and I learned a lot through my research. Besides learning what the abbreviation actually stands for, I also learned a lot about its purpose, technicality and history.
Link to Biography: